In the UK, women are paving the way in technology to create an impact and redress the gender imbalance, but they still only make up 19% of the industry’s workforce and only 22% of leaders and decision makers. It can sometimes be difficult for women to exert influence and communicate with confident credibility: skills which are exceedingly in demand as women define and develop their professional roles and career paths within the technical sector.
This interactive, one-day course has been designed specifically for women in technology. It offers a highly effective toolkit of transformative, performance-based techniques, involving body, breath and voice. These will be practised and then applied to different communication settings and a number of role-play scenarios specific to the industry. These will enable you to develop greater flexibility and choice in how you react, respond and communicate in a sector dominated by male leaders.
Explore interchanging between different communication styles and language choices to assist you in communicating assertively, from a position of personal power, knowledge and confidence.
This toolkit can be practised repeatedly to enable you to increase your sense of personal power, credibility and nascent leadership capacities.
- Network with like-minded women in technology
- Discover powerful performance techniques for building status and credibility
- Learn innovative voice and speech techniques to maximise your presence
- Understand how your choice of language can create new and varied outcomes
- Develop the ability to be assertive and dynamic
- Practise different communication styles to deliver maximum impact
- Leave with the confidence to create a positive attitude towards change
Registration and Light Breakfast
Introduction - What is Confidence for Women in the Technology Sector?
- Discuss personal experiences and what confidence means to you and your organisation
- Equality and inclusivity: Inspiring confidence in tomorrow’s leaders
- Generating Presence – Power Poses
- Exercise: Breath is the key to relaxed, posed credibility
- Be present to have presence!
- Exercise: Creating confidence and credibility through optimal centred alignment
Developing the Toolkit
- Body, Breath, Voice equals personal power – Vocal and Physical preparation
- Breath powers speech
- Voice and Vocal performance skills – Pitch, Pause and Pace for maximising credibility
- Vocal and physical Resonance
- Acting as If: Performance skills for high-status and credibility
- Role Play: Archetypal High-Status
- Rhetoric: The Language of High-Status
Exercise: Finding Your Feet to Speak Up in Meetings
- Role Play: Speaking confidently with clarity of intention and impact in meetings
Flexing between different communication styles: flexibility is the key
- Exercise: Persuasive Language
- Exercise: Naming your strengths – Partner Pitch
- Exercise: Owning and voicing your strengths
- Asking for what you want
- Role Play: Pay and Reward Discussion
- Exercise: Overcoming blocking and holding your ground
- Role play: Interview/Meeting with a potential new employer/in-house promotion
- Recognising and naming your strengths and weaknesses with objectivity
- Identify areas where we are stuck and consciously welcoming change
- Building a practical plan going forward
- Select realisable, achievable goals and objectives stemming from your learning on the course