We do not currently have any dates confirmed for this course. To register your interest for this course please contact us here, and once we have a new date confirmed a member of the team will be in touch with you.
A data subject access request (SAR) is a legal right for individuals to access the information that an organisation holds about them.
Recent data protection legislation has had a significant impact on how organisations manage and respond to data subject access requests (SARs). The abolition of the £10 administration fee, reduced timescale for responding to a SAR, and the potential of higher fines for not complying; all pose significant challenges to how organisations manage SARs.
This Complying with Data Subject Access Requests course has been specifically designed to help you to identify and manage SARs. Through a combination of presentations, interactive workshops and practical exercises, you will gain an understanding of how to manage and answer SARS, and of the context of this important right.
|About the Trainer: Paul Gibbons|
|Paul Gibbons is a leading expert in information rights and management with many years’ experience in the field. With a background in the pharmaceutical industry, Paul then became the first Parliamentary Records Manager, and later prepared the Mayor of London for the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act.|
- Develop a thorough understanding of SARs requirements
- Learn how to perfect SARs procedures
- Understand how GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 impact SARs
- Learn about other rights under data protection law and how they interact with the right to make SARs
- Embed effective SARs procedures within your organisation
Trainer’s Welcome and Introductions
Workshop I: Data Protection Developments And Individuals’ Rights
Gain a brief overview of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) and the range of rights they give to individuals.
- Understand the relationship between GDPR and DPA and how they affect SARs
- Learn about the rights of individuals under GDPR
- Understand the restrictions on those rights
- Learn about timescales and format requirements for communications with individuals
Workshop II: Identifying and Managing SARs
- Train your staff to identify a SAR
- Understand the relevance of the data protection principles for managing SARs
- Learn what information must be provided
- Consider when and how to seek proof of identity
- Understand how to manage increasing volumes and complexity of SARs
Workshop III: Understanding When Information Can Be Withheld
- Learn where to find the exemptions that apply to SARs
- Understand how exemptions work and when to apply them
- Understand the concept of prejudice
- Know what information to include when responding to a SAR
Workshop IV: Requests for Third Party Personal Data
How to deal with requests for personal data relating to third parties without harming individuals’ rights.
- Understand what ‘third party’ personal data is
- Learn how to consider whether it is reasonable to disclose third party data
- Considering whether it is appropriate to consult third parties
- Establish what information should never be disclosed
Workshop V: Developing A SARs Checklist
- Understand the practical elements of answering a SAR
- Identify best practice in conducting redaction
- Ensure that adequate records are kept for accountability purposes
- Dealing with the regulator
Feedback and Close
De Vere West One
London W1B 1PR
A: Yes. After you have booked on to the course, simply email [email protected] and attach the purchase order raised. Please quote your order reference number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Why not contact a member of the team on 0800 014 2468 or email [email protected]
A: Substitutions may be made up to 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 014 2468 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 014 2468 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 014 2468. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: Yes, a seated two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Light breakfast is served in the morning and a wide selection of tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Prices stated do not include VAT.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee. View full terms and conditions here
A: Speakers presentations are sent by email a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the team on 0800 014 2468 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio-visual support and high-speed wifi.