Negotiation is a cornerstone of doing business, both internally and externally. Ensuring that negotiations result in mutually beneficial outcomes is optimal. Achieving win/win situations isn’t always straightforward.
This Business Negotiation Skills course navigates the process of negotiating and pinpoints steps to give every interaction the best chance of succeeding. By safeguarding and relaying your priorities, as well as being empathetic to your stakeholders’ needs, this highly-interactive day brings into play dealing with deadlocks and difficult conversations, complex situations, power dynamics and all-important trust-building exercises that go beyond usual methodologies of negotiation.
Join world-renowned negotiation specialist, Simon Horton, and be guided through tried and tested success stories of negotiations, learn how to build better relationships and achieve your specific business goals.
|About the Trainer: Simon Horton|
|Simon Horton is a Negotiation Skills expert, having taught hostage negotiators, global manufacturing companies and solicitors at the most prestigious law firms in the world. He is a Visiting Lecturer at Imperial College, University of London, and has worked with many tier one banks, pharmaceutical and oil companies.
Simon understands IT as he has spent 12 years working in technology, primarily in the Financial Services sector. In his IT career, one major achievement, amongst many others, was designing the derivatives trading system used by the majority of the asset management companies in the City.
In 2012 Simon authored and published a new book: Negotiation Mastery, Tools for the 21st Century Negotiator.
Watch this video on How To Master The Negotiation Process With Simon Horton
- Understand how to promote your priorities and align these with your stakeholder(s)
- Displacing yourself and understanding the other party’s best outcome
- Learn how to develop trust effectively
- Become comfortable with the unknown and prepare for it
- Develop an individualised action plan for your own or organisational business negotiation skills
Why Business Negotiation Skills are Essential
- Framing negotiation as a skill that can be learnt and continuously improved
- Introducing win-win as the most effective approach even for purely selfish reasons.
Getting Your Win: Checklist
- A simple checklist for clarifying the best deal you can get, with emphasis on ambitious and creative outcomes
- Workshop activity in pairs applying this checklist to a real current negotiation
Getting into Their Mind
- Applying the same checklist to understand the other party’s best outcome
- Workshop activity in pairs applying it to a real current negotiation
Dealing with Deadlock
- Deadlock happens but there are always solutions. This short, interactive module captures different methods of resolving deadlock.
Complex, Multi-Party, Dynamic Negotiations
- How to deal with situations involving many people in a changing landscape
- Workshop activity in pairs
The Nature of Power in A Negotiation
- Analysis of power and its implications in negotiation
- Fun game demonstrating how to manage the power you have
- How to successfully manage a negotiation when all the power is stacked against you
Finding Out the Unknown Unknowns
- Questioning techniques that enable to find out relevant information that the other party knows and is not telling (deliberately or through oversight)
Trust but Verify
- Trust is important in negotiation but we can’t always trust
- Game theory approach to finesse this real-life conundrum
- Delegates identify key takeaways and specific action they are going to put into place.
Feedback, Discussion, Evaluation & Close
Simon Horton is a Negotiation Skills expert, having taught hostage negotiators, global manufacturing companies and solicitors at the most prestigious […]
A: Yes. After you have booked on to the course, simply email [email protected] and attach the purchase order raised. Please quote your order reference number and the course you are booked onto.
A: Unfortunately, we do not accept provisional bookings. Registrations are subject to our terms and conditions. View terms and conditions here
A: Substitutions may be made up to 48 hours prior to the event. Please call 0800 014 2468 or email [email protected] with the replacement's details.
A: Why not contact a member of the team on 0800 014 2468 or email [email protected]
A: You will receive the joining instructions and reminders, 2 weeks, 1 week and 3 days before the course date. Please check your spam box to see whether the joining instructions were sent there, if not please call 0800 014 2468 so we can have these sent to you immediately.
A: Special dietary requirements can be catered for, please ensure you include this in the further information box when registering your place. If you have forgotten to add this, you can also send your requirements to [email protected] or call 0800 014 2468. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure your needs are met.
A: Yes, a seated two-course hot buffet is served at lunch. Light breakfast is served in the morning and a wide selection of tea and coffee are served throughout the day.
A: Prices stated do not include VAT.
A: Cancellations must be received in writing 30 working days before the date of the event and will be subject to a £195+VAT administration fee. Cancellations received after this time will be subject to the full delegate fee. View full terms and conditions here
A: Speakers presentations are sent by email a week after the event date. Please contact a member of the team on 0800 014 2468 or [email protected] if it has been more than a week.
A: Yes, all our venues have the latest technology, offer full audio-visual support and high-speed wifi.